On Apr 30, 2012, at 5:03 PM, Ofer Inbar wrote:

> This PBS interview with Harvey Mudd president Maria Klawe, on the
> subject of why fewer women go into tech & engineering fields, is
> worth watching:
>
> http://www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/video/blog/2012/04/college_president_discusses_wo.html

This is a discussion that comes up periodically.

If you want my opinion (nobody asked, but I will presume that someone is
wondering), the corollary is "why aren't more students interested in
math/science?". I'll observe that there are relatively few teachers that I can
say "inspired" me to think their their directions; far-too-many years later, I
could probably name them. Two were English teachers, one was a Math teacher,
tenth grade geometry, one taught 7th grade Geography, and one taught senior
Calculus. And, oh, I liked some of my college profs, but in this context my
views were probably formed before I got there.

What if teachers were measured on a survey at the end of a semester or a year
that asked "does teacher <> make <> interesting to you?".