On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 10:43 AM, John C Klensin <john-i...@jck.com> wrote:

"But, even a step or two in the direction of promoting or preferring
less-able women in order to make IETF  bodies more diverse would be
likely to result in shooting ourselves in our collective feet."

I think the analysis here is subtly wrong.  If you have two candidates
who can clearly do the job, it seems to imply that you should always
still stack rank them and pick the higher ranked.  But that's a very
local optimization.

Efforts to increase to diversity are a very different optimization--by
making more visible that opportunities are present for all, these
initiatives attempt to increase the pool of talent over time.  If
people who would previously have left a field stay or folks who had
not thought of entering a field do so, that field wins.  The scale of
that win can be the field of  "Science, Technology, Engineering, Math"
or it can be "working group leadership" or "the IETF".  But a bigger
pool of talent to draw from is a big win for almost any sized field.

regards,

Ted Hardie