Perhaps my final comment on this.  Also cutting the thread down to
something readable.  Inline.
S.

On 1.14.2013 10:46 , "Stephen Farrell" <stephen.farr...@cs.tcd.ie> wrote:

[...]
>Yes, that's clearer. We're talking about two different continuums
>(or continua:-), so either would work, and neither is important to
>this draft. I'll make the change if there's enough support for it,
>but as I guess you can see, this is an area where we won't get folks
>to entirely agree. In this case, we don't need to, since the text
>in question is just explanatory and has no significant impact on
>the experiment at all.

Definitely my final comment on this topic:  I agree that the change has no
impact on the operation of the iETF under the draft.  IMO it simply fixes
a flaw of logic.

[...]

>>>[Š]
>>> I'd have no problem adding text that encouraged some form of
>>> independence though, if you'd like to provide some.
>>
>> How about:
>>
>> "If the source code has been developed independently of the authoring of
>> the draft (and ideally by non WG participants), it is likely that the
>> implementation and the draft match, and that pitfalls unaware developers
>> may find have been found and dealt with.  If, on the other hand, draft
>> author(s) and implementation developer(s) overlap, then it is sensible
>> scrutinize the draft more closely, both with respect to its match with
>>the
>> implementation and for assumptions that author/developer may have taken
>> for granted which warrant documentation in the draft."
>
>That'd be no harm to add. I don't know that it improves the document
>enough to bother though. I'll think about it, but let's see if anyone
>else cares.

Thanks.

[...]
>>> I'll see if I can come up with something better than "match" but
>>> if you have text to suggest, that might help.
>>
>> Trying:
>>
>> "Match means that all, or substantially all, protocol mechanisms of the
>> draft are implemented, that no other code points are implemented that
>> would reasonably fall into the scope of the draft in question, that all
>> documented state machines are implemented and no other state machines,
>>and
>> so forth.  The over-the-wire behavior of the implementation and of the
>> draft should substantially match, including more subtle points such as
>> timing relationship of messages, .  Minor divergences in details
>>stemming
>> from unaligned development cycles of draft and implementation are
>> acceptable."
>
>I like most of that, thanks. For now, I've added this to 2.1, let me
>know if it works:
>
>   We do not give a precise definition for "match" here but the intent
>   is that all, or substantially all, protocol mechanisms of the draft
>   are implemented, that the over-the-wire behavior of the
>   implementation and of the draft should substantially match, including
>   more subtle points such as timing relationship of messages, etc.
>   Minor divergences in details stemming from unaligned development
>   cycles of draft and implementation are acceptable.

Works for me.