Well, is that a meta-judgment call?

I took the view that the full process expressed in draft-farrell-ft could not be
done by the IESG at their discretion. That is, that some of the steps proposed
constituted a significant variation from documented processes or
well-established behavior. Thus, it was my opinion that if such changes were to
be made they would either need to be documented direct in a BCP or run as a 3933
experiment. It was also my opinion that consensus for a BCP would be improbable
(looks like discussion on this list has upheld that view), and so *if* this was
to go ahead it would need to be as a 3933 experiment.

Turns out, however, that the community is not willing to try this experiment as
currently documented. That's OK.

I do not take quite the same negative view as Stephen, but I do agree with
Spencer that getting consensus for a process change always looks like a
formidable task. Small changes never address enough of the problem or the right
piece of the problem. Large changes are too much in one go. :-) So, it seems to
be increasingly hard to make changes to our process.

While IESG statements remain an option, I would not like to see them regularly
used for things that are definitively a change to consensus-based process and
especially for things that change the way the community is supposed to behave.
On the other hand, IESG statements are fine for declaring how the IESG will
behave, for advising on action within existing parameters, and for emergency
action.

So, my conclusion: it would be good to have more process experiments if people
feel the process needs to change. However, it would appear that such experiments
need:
- Thorough debate on an appropriate mailing list first
   Do we need a "process experiments" mailing list?
- Very clear expression of the purpose of the experiment
   and how it will be evaluated
- Very tight scoping to a portion of the IETF or of the IETF's
   work so that the risk of the experiment simply changing
   the IETF's process by default is removed

Cheers,
Adrian