Hi,

some time ago I proposed an experiment associated with moderation in the
presence of both remote and local participants (point 2.7 below):

http://ietf83.conf.meetecho.com/index.php/UMPIRE_Project

You can find the related IETF mail announcement here:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vmeet/current/msg00394.html

Just for the logs.

Cheers,

Simon

Il giorno 05/feb/2013, alle ore 17:04, IETF Chair ha scritto:

> Please see the attached report on the current status of remote participation
> in the IETF meeting.  Please notice at the end a call for potential
> experiments to explore ways that we can improve remote participation.
>
> Russ Housley
> IETF Chair
>
> Bob Hinden
> IAOC Chair
>

> = = = = = = = = =
>

> Status of Remote Participation Services in the IETF Today
>
>                      Russ Housley
>
> 1.  Introduction
>
>   For more than a decade, the IETF has tried to make it easier for
>   remote attendees to participate in regular and interim face-to-face
>   meetings.  At the same time, some IETF Working Groups (WGs) have
>   started to conduct virtual interim meetings.
>
>   The IETF's current remote participation system ("RPS") consists of a
>   outbound real-time audio stream for each session carried to remote
>   attendees over HTTP, textual multi-user chat carried over XMPP
>   (commonly called Jabber), and posting of slides prior to the WG
>   session so that they can be downloaded from the IETF web site.
>
>   WebEx and Meetecho are experimentally supported, offering outbound
>   real-time audio stream synchronized to the slides for the remote
>   participant.  Meetecho displays the Jabber Room on the screen with
>   slides, and it can also be used to replay the audio and slides from
>   a recording.
>
>   Some WGs also employ ad-hoc tools, such as Skype for two-way audio and
>   video conferencing and Etherpad for shared document editing.
>
> 2. Regular and Interim IETF Meetings
>
>   Today, it is easy to remotely observe IETF sessions, but it is very
>   difficult to participate in discussions.  However, several tools are
>   used to accommodate remote participants.  To the greatest extent
>   possible, these tools rely on IETF or other open standards, and they
>   embrace both IPv4 and IPv6 without network address translation.
>
> 2.1. Audio
>
>   Anyone can use a web browser to receive real-time audio of the IETF
>   meeting sessions.  The URLs for the audio are announced in advance,
>   and the audio recording becomes part of the session proceedings.
>
>   It is quite difficult for a remote participant to have their voice
>   heard in the session.  The WebEx and Meetecho systems can accommodate
>   this with advance setup and testing.  However, allowing arbitrary
>   remote participants to speak does not work well.  Connecting to the
>   audio system in the meeting facility is quite problematic.  Further,
>   a WG Chair would need sophisticated controls to maintain order if
>   arbitrary remote participants were able to speak at any time.
>   While WebEx and Meetecho provide some participation management
>   features, but integration with in-room participation is needed.
>
> 2.2. Video
>
>   In the 1990s as part of the multicast experiment, multicast video was
>   made available, but this experiment has ended without evolving into a
> [...]

                                                               _\\|//_
                                                              ( O-O )
   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o00~~(_)~~00o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                                Simon Pietro Romano
                                         Universita' di Napoli Federico II
                                     Computer Engineering Department
                     Phone: +39 081 7683823 -- Fax: +39 081 7683816
                                           e-mail: sprom...@unina.it

                    <<Molti mi dicono che lo scoraggiamento Ë l'alibi degli
                    idioti. Ci rifletto un istante; e mi scoraggio>>. Magritte.
                                                     oooO
                                                                       (_/