At 10:08 AM 3/19/2013, Jeffrey Haas wrote:

>>     Jeffrey> Such an exercise would probably generate a lot less
>>     Jeffrey> controversy than my unsanctioned badge experiment.
>>
>>     Jeffrey> http://pfrc.org/~jhaas/pictures/badge.jpg
>>
>> nice.
>> Instead of getting a new badge every meeting, maybe we should just get
>> an IETF86 dot on a badge we keep from meeting to meeting.
>
>I didn't realize more people hadn't seen the badge.  Since I've gotten a few
>inquiries about it, here's the comments I'd had:
>
>- Some people were upset that I was wearing an unofficial badge.  None of
>  these were the people involved in giving them out.  (My official badge was
>  in my laptop bag just in case.)

There's a long history of "martian" badges at the IETF.  During the Stanford
IETF many many years ago, there were something like a dozen "Milo Medin" badges
(and I seem to remember at one point Milo was wearing none of them), as well as
badges where the older IETF logo had been replaced with various of the Klingon,
Federation and Romulan symbols from Star Trek.

>- The company logo was definitely too big.  I got the badge the morning
>  before I headed out for the conference and it was a bit late to ask Chris
>  to alter the design the minimize it.  My preference would have been a bigger
>  IETF logo and smaller company logo.  (Or "type treatment" as he'll tell
>  me.)  Adding text to the blue dot would have been nice but wasn't thought
>  about after the fact.
>- The biggest concern expressed by those seeing it was that how could one
>  tell that I've actually paid for the conference?  As was pointed out by
>  multiple parties, a piece of paper isn't exactly good security if we
>  actually cared about that. :-)

To the best of my knowledge, Beijing was the only IETF meeting that ever had
anyone checking badges.  And for the most part, the people who attend, pay.
And if they don't (due to say financial reversals) but still contribute, I'm ok
with that.