On Apr 10, 2013, at 3:02 AM, Stefan Santesson <ste...@aaa-sec.com> wrote:

> Nothing has changed in this regard.
>
> The good response is pretty clear that it by default provides information
> that the cert is not on a black-list (is not know to be revoked).
> However, it is also made clear that extensions may be used to expand this
> default information about the status.
>
> This is how it always have been, and still is in RFC 256bis.

So a non-issued cert may be "good".

> The revoked response simply means that the certificate is revoked.
> Combined with the new extension, it MAY also be used for non-issued certs.

So a non-issued cert may be "revoked".

> It's really as simple as that.

I would have thought that what was simple was to say a non-issued cert was
"unknown", since it's neither known-good, nor known-revoked.  Is there any
collection of extensions which will allow an RP to know, for sure, what value
will be returned for a never-issued cert?

> It is only the discussion on this list that is confusing and that has
> managed turn something really simple into a complicated debate.

What *I* find confusing is the apparent degree of belief that it is possible to
improve 2560 and simultaneously to maintain backward compatibility.  That
should only be possible if there are some previously-ignored extensions which
alter the semantics of the information --- effectively creating a version 2
protocol.

I don't find the claim that nothing has changed helpful.

What I would find helpful, and what I think some people really would like, is
for OCSP to be able to provide white-list information in addition to the
previous black-list information.  When I read through 2560bis, I could not tell
if there was an extension which would allow an RP to tell if "good" actually
meant a cert was on the white list (and to know the responder has the white
list), or merely not on the black list.  (Yes, I'm repeating myself.  Am I
making more sense, or just wasting everyone's time?)

henry.b.h...@jpl.nasa.gov, or hbh...@oxy.edu