On 13/04/2013 17:15, John C Klensin wrote:

> --On Friday, April 12, 2013 23:37 -0400 Andrew Sullivan
> <a...@anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:
>
>> The only lesson I really learned from that experience is that
>> it is incredibly hard for women[1] to be treated as adult
>> colleagues in an environment that acts overwhelmingly as a
>> white male club.
>
> JJ Thompson, Grace Anscomb, etc., notwithstanding.  Similarly,
> Grace Hopper, Jean Sammet, Jane Thompson, Martha Steenstrup,
> Deborah Estrin, Sally Floyd, etc.
>
> That doesn't change your point other than to identify a
> different fallacy in the "girl-philosophy" hypothesis and its
> computer science / networking analogies.   If you haven't heard
> of some of the above, it demonstrations a slightly different
> point.   It may also suggest that there is an area in which the
> IETF is absolutely non-discriminatory: there is no evidence
> that the IETF has been any more effective in driving, e.g.,
> Martha or Deborah out than with Crowcroft, Elz, Clark, Chapin,

And I'm not sure about the driving "out" rather than driving *on*
to bigger and better things. Also, speaking from personal
observation over the last 12 months in Cambridge (the original one),
at least one of those you mentioned is leading a very lively
research group including several active IETF contributors.

   Brian