On 5/11/13 10:17 , SM wrote:
At 18:36 10-05-2013, David Conrad wrote:
> Is it up to the IETF to set up a one-stop shop for personal data
requests?

I suspect not, but I suspect it isn't up to the IETF to dictate global
privacy policy either.

Section 2 is about the goals for distributing number resources (re.
first sentence).  I suggest removing the third goal as it might be a
matter of global (or other) policy.  It also makes privacy a non-issue
as there isn't any relationship between it and the goals.

The third goal you refer to focuses on the need for "accurate registration information ... in order to meet a variety of operational requirements." I believe this to be a valid technical concerns of the IETF, it is difficult to imagine how a global Internet can technically function without this. So, I think it is important for it to remain in the draft.

However, issues of privacy, law enforcement access, and a myriad of other extremely important issues related to the Internet Numbers Registry System are outside the technical and operational scope of the IETF. The whole point of the draft is to document the issues that are properly the concern of the IETF towards the Internet Numbers Registry System and to pass the rest of it to the multi-stakeholder environment of ICANN and the RIRs to hash it out.

David Farmer               Email: far...@umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952