Joe,

> Broken, agreed.

Yep.

> Unclear, nope - please review the NON-DISCUSS criteria, notably:
>
> The motivation for a particular feature of a protocol is not clear enough. At
> the IESG review stage, protocols should not be blocked because they provide
> capabilities beyond what seems necessary to acquit their responsibilities.
>
> The DISCUSS isn't there to make documents "better" - that's for COMMENTs. A
> DISCUSS there to catch a set of problems and to *block* the document's
> progress until that problem is resolved.

Yes, but note that there are multiple aspects of "unclear". You cite above the
motivation aspect. There's also a DISCUSS criteria for other forms of unclear,
e.g., if I can't figure out what I should do in the implementation, it would be
an issue. The criteria document confirms:

"The specification is impossible to implement due to technical or clarity
issues."

> Sure, but note that there is a specific NON-DISCUSS criteria on this point:
>
> Disagreement with informed WG decisions that do not exhibit problems outlined
> in Section 3.1 (DISCUSS Criteria). In other words, disagreement in
> preferences among technically sound approaches.
>
> Finding technical mistakes is good, but imposing the IESG's preferred
> technical solution over the WG's preference is inappropriate, but happens.

If you are hit with a Discusss that is about preferring another technical
solution, you should push back.

Jari