Hi,

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 9:06 PM, John C Klensin <john-i...@jck.com> wrote:

> The discussion in 3.1 clearly applies to relatively complex
> schemes like NAPTR, but it is not clear that it has anything to
> do with this case.  In particular, if I correctly understand the
> IEEE's allocation scheme for longer identifiers (and I may not)
> than a given device gets only one -- this is not analogous to a
> dual-stack IPv4/IPv6 arrangement -- and an application gets back
> whatever it gets back (whether the query is addressed to the
> DNS, read off a label on the device and entered manually, or
> something else).  If so, then one RRTYPE with the appropriate
> identifier in the data is the right answer.

If you are getting an address to connect with a device on an Ethernet
link, you just have to know what the right address size is. After
whatever start of frame mark there is, it is just DA-SA and using the
wrong size MAC addresses isn't going to work.

Thanks,
Donald
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 d3e...@gmail.com