On 31/05/2013, at 8:28 PM, Fernando Gont <fg...@si6networks.com> wrote:

> On 05/31/2013 11:59 AM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> In an attempt to inject some data into the discussion, I wrote a bit
>> of code that figures out how much time, given your home city, you
>> would have spent in the air if you'd attended all IETF meetings since
>> IETF74 (i.e., from 2009 onwards).
>>
>> The first column is the "home" airport.
>>
>> The second column is the great circle time between the home airport
>> and the nearest large airport to the IETF meeting, hhh:mm. This
>> doesn't count things like transit time, taxiing, takeoff and landing
>> overhead, indirect routing, etc. As such, this is an ideal number;
>> the only way to achieve anything close to it is to have a private jet
>> (with exceptional range).
>
> Could you please elaborate a bit more on the meaning of the second column?

It's the duration given by a reputable travel search engine for the end-to-end
trip, from when the first plane takes off until when the last plane lands,
including transit time, etc., and a fixed buffer for getting to the airport,
etc.

Still not really accurate, but it helps factor in indirect routing and the
like. The shortest available current routing is chosen; that routing may not
actually be available during the meeting, etc.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/