Hi Spencer.

I like your point. I think it is correct that collaboration is needed
between all regions for many I-Ds or related I-Ds to the region
participants interest. Cross-participation co-authoring between
regions may make better results than co-authors from same region.
Comments below,

On 5/31/13, Spencer Dawkins <spencerdawkins.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For those of you looking at where I-D and RFC authors are from, I'd like
> to suggest one other thing to look at - the extent that participants are
> co-authoring with folks outside their region.

There are some I-Ds like that which was a result of meetings of an
author team of different regions and same interest. I will add another
interesting point, IMO, each region has different interests, so if you
ask in diff-region meetings of the community interest you mostly get
different responds but not if the attendance are the same persons.

> It's pretty tempting for new participants to submit drafts that they
> like, and maybe reaching out to their office mates as co-authors, but to
> be effective in the IETF, participants have to learn how to collaborate
> with folks from other IETF sponsors (including "other IETF sponsors who
> compete head-to-head with your IETF sponsor"), other countries, and
> other regions. "Collaboration" covers many activities, but I'm curious
> what we might learn from looking at this specific kind of collaboration.

I agree totaly,

> <personal self-reveal> I say this to a lot of people who don't believe
> me, but I have been shy for most of my life, and it's still not easy for
> me to have conversations with total strangers. That's not a cultural
> challenge, and it's not a language challenge, but it is a challenge I've
> faced in the IETF as *I* was learning to collaborate. For anyone who is
> also learning how to do this - for me, it's been worth it.

I encourage you to continue your efforts for your progress (all have
their special issues), which I think it is what IETF is about to make
all learn for better Internet. I am experiencing a different situation
while I am trying to have discussions with people I don't know in
IETF, I get bad responses, and getting to know good people before I
meet them. I am collaborating (in reviewing ideas not authoring, and a
plan with one in future of authoring I-D) already with some that I
never met but only remotely discussed in IETF.

> And anyone is
> welcome to join us for drumming at IETF meetings - I bring extra drums,
> and there's no telling who else you'll meet. </personal self-reveal>

I will join, we actually can plan to co-author an I-D while drumming
so we don't waste time, thanks :-)

AB