On Jun 19, 2013, at 4:29 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 19/06/2013 18:25, Patrik Fältström wrote:
>> On 18 jun 2013, at 18:54, Jari Arkko <jari.ar...@piuha.net> wrote:
>>
>>> As for the rest of the discussion - I'm sure there are things to be
>>> improved in ICANN. I'd suggest though that some of the feedback might be
>>> better placed in an ICANN discussion than on IETF list. And is not like
>>> there'd be nothing to improve on our side :-) Lets focus on IETF aspects
>>> here.
>>
>> I think this is the correct strategy, BUT, I see as a very active
>> participant in ICANN (chair of SSAC) that work in ICANN could be easier if
>> some "more" technical standards where developed in IETF,

+ lots.

If these are not developed in the IETF, we run the risk of ICANN doing
technical stuff.

As someone whose time is now[0] split between ICANN and IETF, I can tell you
something -- you[1] *really* don't want ICANN developing technical standard.

> A pre-condition for that is that technical and operational problem statements
> are formulated, which could be sent to appropriate WGs or used to justify
> a BOF. If ICANN could focus on that instead of solutionism or committeeism,
> progress should be possible.

Yup. This message needs to be properly communicated though -- Suzanne Woolf has
been attempting (and being fairly effective) to do so.

[0]: I, along with some other IETF folk, serve on the SSAC under Patrik.
[1]: You in the general sense, not you as in Brian or Patrik -- although I'm
guessing you don't either. Are you confused yet with which you you are?

--
She'd even given herself a middle initial - X - which stood for "someone who
has a cool and exciting middle name".

    -- (Terry Pratchett, Maskerade)