On Wed, June 19, 2013 9:25 am, Melinda Shore wrote:
> On 6/19/13 8:12 AM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>>>
>>> You made an assertion that's at least a little ahistorical,
>>
>> That depends on which historians you've been reading.
>
> Peter, it's a fact in the US and Canada that court cases preceded
> civil rights protections which preceded social change.  This has been
> true for racial minorities, women, glbt folk, etc.  I expect that
> there are historians who'd argue otherwise but allow me to suggest
> that if so they are very, very far out of the mainstream.

  Civil rights? A "whites only" lunch counter or drinking fountain is
a matter of civil rights. When there is active prohibition on a class
there is a matter of civil rights. But the mere fact that the numbers
are overwhelmingly one-sided does not make a civil rights issue.

  Between 1995 and 2008, 84% of the people killed by lighting strikes
were male. Is that evidence of discrimination? Is that a civil rights
issue? What do you propose to do to rectify that statistic?

  Dan.