At 09:51 AM 6/27/2013, David Meyer wrote:
>On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 6:42 AM, Eliot Lear <l...@cisco.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 6/27/13 3:34 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>>>
>>> Why not just say directly that 'to prevent "capture", no more than X% of
>>> the NomCom may work for a single organization' (where X is 15% or so, so
>>> that even if a couple collude, they still can't get control).
>>>

>> It's already in RFC 3777.  No more than 2 per company.
>
>BTW, while I understand the spirit of 3777 on this point, I have
>always found the restriction somewhat at odds with our belief (hope?)
>that we represent ourselves and the best interest of the Internet at
>the IETF.

This is where acculturation comes in.  You and I are old hands - we've been
doing this almost too long to remember.  This is built into our personal
perception of the IETF.  Sadly - I think this attitude has become less and less
prevalent, both in the newer companies that have sent people and in the newer
people.  Part of this appears to be a belief that the IETF is exactly like all
the other standards bodies and can be managed/manipulated by throwing people at
it.   Given the current buy-in for the nomcom is about $6K per year per person
(based on about a $4K per person direct cost - I don't know how to reasonably
estimate the indirect costs of lost production because of travel if any), that
provides at least a small barrier to entry to that type of manipulation, as
does the acculturation that actually happens if they attend 3/5 meetings.

I really wish the IETF were a group of individuals, but I don't think that's
ever been completely true, and I have then impression its getting to the point
where its not even mostly true.

Mike