On 7/9/2013 8:59 AM, Scott Brim wrote:
The sample is better at 140 if individuals represent themselves, but not if they are swayed by their organizational affiliation, and organization is now a significant factor in what we can expect from volunteers -- not all, but even some of those from organizations where the volunteers are long time participants. I support this idea. I think the gain is greater than the loss, and it even fosters diversity.

I don't have a lot of time to chat about this, but

- I agree with Scott that it matters what voting members are guided by (organization, personal experience, intuition, flipping coins ...) - I suspect that it's not possible to predict what any 10 voting members chosen at random will be guided by - I'm not sure we can even know what the 10 voting members *were* guided by, unless the behavior is so bad that the advisor freaks out or the chair tells us in the plenary Nomcom report

If people want to think about the Nomcom volunteer pool, it may be useful to wonder about whether the perspective of voting members from more organizations would help the Nomcom make better choices.

Of course, I'm not sure we can predict that, either :-)

Spencer