On 7/10/2013 8:52 AM, Bob Hinden wrote:
On Jul 9, 2013, at 5:23 PM, l.w...@surrey.ac.uk wrote:
I do recall a case where both chairs of a WG belonged to a Major Organization.
I can think of one company who uses to IETF to have internal arguments.  But at
the same time, I can think of another company who is very aligned in how they
participate in the IETF.  Many others are somewhere in between.  There isn't a
single model here.

Bob,

If one were doing a broad discussion about the role of the IETF within various organizations' operations, your point would be interesting.

For the current discussion, I suspect it's not all the relevant, since I understand this thread to be about the /potential/ for undue influence by an organization. Anecdotes about the potential being exercised (or not) provide some seasoning to the discussion but do not affect the essence of the concern.

It doesn't matter whether that potential is exercised. What matters is the exposure of the IETF to that potential and how the IETF can reduce it.

As with all security risks, the requirement is to anticipate them and protect against them, rather than wait to fix things afterwards...

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking