I agree with some of your points, thanks, comments below,

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Keith Moore <mo...@network-heretics.com>wrote:

> http://www.ietf.org/blog/2013/07/a-diverse-ietf/
>
> Also, I wanted to let everyone know that tomorrow in the Administrative
> Plenary, Kathleen Moriarty and Suresh Krishnan will be talking about what
> they have uncovered so far in their efforts in the diversity design team.
> I'm looking very much forward to their report. Their efforts will help us
> understand where we have room to improve - often by much :-) - and what
> kinds of actions we can take to improve our inclusiveness.
>
> This is something that I've struggled with for years.   A big part of the
> "problem" (from one point-of-view) is that we've become so geographically
> diverse in our choice of meeting sites that we've drastically raised the
> cost of attending meetings on a regular basis - everyone has to travel a
> lot to so (though people in North America still have an easier time of it).
>   And while there are clearly things that could be done to reduce meeting
> costs, we'd be doing very well to reduce total trip cost by more than say
> 15%.
>
> But earlier today I realized that the problem isn't just the cost of
> attending meetings - it's the value that we get in return for those
> meetings.   I've been taking notes about how ineffectively we use our
> meeting time.   Most of what I've observed won't surprise anybody, but
> here's a summary:
>
> WG meeting sessions aren't scheduled to encourage discussion, but to
> discourage it.   At meeting after meeting, in several different areas, I
> see the lion's share of the time devoted to presentations rather than
> discussion.
>
> Similarly, WG meetings generally aren't run in such a way to facilitate
> discussion, but to discourage it.  It's only Tuesday afternoon and I've
> already lost count of how many times I've heard a meeting chair tell people
> that they have to stop discussing things because there are more *
> presentations* to do.

I think I was told that IESG is in charge of management of the meeting, so
we should ask it to clarify its position, WHY it was done that way?
However, I mentioned that time management was not done well in MANET WG in
previous meetings but no one cares of my comments. I hope your will get
through to IESG.

> Rooms are set up not to facilitate discussion, but to discourage it.   The
> lights are dim, the chairs are facing forward rather than other
> participants, the projector screen (not the person facilitating a
> discussion, even if someone is trying to facilitate a discussion) is the
> center of attention.    The chairs are set so close together and with so
> few aisles that it's hard for most of the attendees to get to the mics.
> The "microphone discipline" which was intended to facilitate remote
> participation ends up making discussion more difficult for everybody who
> has paid to be on site.

I mentioned before that I was discouraged while I was remote participant,
but seems like even some f2f participants get that feelings from time to
time. The management of meetings should respond to your comments (not a
person but the body, which I expect IESG).

> In the vast majority of WG sessions, everyone has his nose in a laptop.
> (me included).   This is because the information being presented at the
> moment is generally not valuable enough to occupy the attendees' attention.
>  The attendees are there for one of two reasons - either they're just
> trying to absorb some low-value information while still doing something
> else that is more useful, or they're waiting for some opportunity to
> actually interact - either within the context of that WG meeting or
> afterward (perhaps because the best way to catch a particular person is
> often to show up at a WG meeting that that person is attending.)

I usually will blame the IETF chairs to do better attraction to
participants including remote ones on jabber.

> All of these things have been standard practice, in IETF and elsewhere,
> for so long, that hardly anyone questions them.   They have to be that way
> because they're habit, and even if one or two people try to change things
> (and I realize some ADs are trying), they have to contend with the mindless
> habit-driven decisions of everyone else involved.

We can change meetings management, and I don't think there is a standard
practice for management of this meeting and others. We need an RFC for how
to best manage the meeting, which can update from time to time, however, I
mentioned to the venue selectors to be involved because selecting venue
affects the meeting management capacity.

> Well, please excuse my candor, but f*ck habit.   We can't be effective
> engineers if we let bad habits continue to dictate how we work.

You keep repeating habit as it is not good, but I think we need it, but we
need management to make people's habit in the direction of the IETF habits
:-)

AB