On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 1:03 AM, Barry Leiba <barryle...@computer.org> wrote:

> > Using the individual submissions track as a way to circumvent working
> group
> > process when there is an actual IETF JSON working group seems completely
> > wrong to me.
>
> No one is circumventing anything.  The JSON working group is not
> chartered to deal with this or other documents like it, and we won't
> be rechartering it to do so any time soon.  And remember that any time
> I'm sponsoring a document as AD, part of what I'm doing is what
> working group chairs do in a working group: judging rough consensus on
> the document's content and the issues that concern whether it's
> intended status is appropriate.  If you (and/or others) can show that
> there are solid reasons that this should not be a Proposed Standard,
> or if I do not see rough consensus to publish it, I will not bring it
> to the rest of the IESG.

I would add that CBOR has already seen enough interest and feedback that I
believe it would pass a call for adoption in APPSAWG, and be processed
there onto the standards track.  That would make Barry's job quite a bit
easier, since it would then be our job to host the discussion and record
consensus in that context.  It would also get a shorter IETF Last Call.

Instead, it's going what is for all intents and purposes a tougher route.
I'm not suggesting we derail its progress to do it the other way, but it
does suggest to me that the route it's following is hardly a shortcut or
bypass of some kind.

-MSK