On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Lorenzo Colitti <lore...@google.com> wrote:

> I'm just saying it here so that everyone in the community can see it. If
> it's an IETF document it has to have IETF consensus, and since I feel that
> the arguments were not properly taken into account in the WG (read:
> ignored), I think it's important that the community see them before we
> publish this document.

I'm not sure the consensus requirement you're suggesting actually exists.
This is aiming at Informational, and as such:

   An "Informational" specification is published for the general
   information of the Internet community, and does not represent an
   Internet community consensus or recommendation.  The Informational

[RFC 2026 ยง4.2.2]

But the IETF doesn't define profile documents. The IETF defines technical
> standards on the basis of rough consensus and running code. What you're
> saying is "since we don't have running code that does what we want, we're
> trying to define a profile in the hope that someone will write the code".
> That's not the way it works.

No, the IETF has published profile documents in a number of cases. One
could argue that RFC 1122 and RFC 1123 are both profile documents,
actually, but there are other specific examples, like the Lemonade profile,
for example.

I suspect, however, that this document is actually a standard, or intended
as one. There's discussion about conformance, about testing for
conformance, and so on, which suggests that an operator (in particular)
might treat any resultant RFC as a standard without regard for its IETF
status. That's a concern, though in practise, if this is to be a document
detailing "what operators want", I'd be happier that it's published through
the IETF as Informational than not published at all - and in any case, no
amount of pretence will alter the fact that people will treat any RFC as a
standard if it suits them anyway.

What may be more useful, though, would be to get more stakeholders involved
in a commonly agreed profile, and supercede this.

Dave.