On 16 September 2013 19:06, John C Klensin <john-i...@jck.com> wrote:

> Treating an ORCID (or equivalent) as supplemental would also
> avoid requiring the RSE to inquire about guarantees about the
> permanence and availability of the relevant database.

I've checked with ORCID and they say:

"the ORCID Registry is planned, from a technical perspective, as a
long-term effort to support persistent identifiers.  In addition,
Registry code is open source, and we will be posting a public data
file on an annual basis starting in October.  Finally, we have
transition plans in the unlikely event that ORCID should cease to
exist as an organization--in which case the ORCID registry and data
contained therein would transfer to a non-profit organization with a
similar mission."

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing