Are we conflating back doors in implementations with back doors in protocol
specifications?  It's certainly a conceptual possibility for there to be a back
door in a protocol specification, but I don't recall ever hearing about one.
On the other hand, back doors, both intended and unintended, in the software
that implements protocols, are legion.

Steve