> From: christopher.mor...@gmail.com [mailto:christopher.mor...@gmail.com]
>
> [CLM]
> In the RPKIcache example, 'consumer' is 'routers in your network'.
> 'Close' is 'close enough that bootstrapping isn't a problem', balanced
> with 'gosh, maybe I don't want to put one on top of each router! plus
> associated management headaches to deal with these new
> systems/appliances'.
[WEG] that's part of my issue - the only way that you get "close enough that
bootstrapping isn't a problem" is when the cache and router are directly
connected. Otherwise there *is* going to be some amount of time while the
router is coming up that it can't talk to its configured caches e.g. while it
learns the route(s) to the cache(s). I think that supports a recommendation to
put the caches in your IGP instead of BGP, so that you get faster convergence
of those routes and therefore have access to the cache when BGP comes up and
starts converging, rather than once BGP is partially converged. But the draft
doesn't say that.
The question is, does the propagation/convergence delay for an IGP in an
average network (let's call it somewhere between subsecond and 5 seconds) make
a non-trival difference in RPKI's bootstrap behavior, especially since BGP
convergence is also dependent on IGP convergence? Can we make a clearer
recommendation of the performance envelope we're shooting for so that people
can design accordingly? I'm not sure I buy a general "faster(or closer) is
always better" recommendation - at some point, we hit diminishing returns,
given that this is mostly a human time-scale system. The document doesn't
provide clear guidance on how to balance that tradeoff.

> [CLM]
> I guess one way is to say: "People should understand the dependencies
> and engineer appropriately" ... which you kind of asked to not say in
> the original comment. (or is the issue that the dependencies aren't
> clear?)

[WEG] The issue is that the dependencies aren't clear. I'm not expecting the
text to be too prescriptive here, because all networks are different, but I
need enough technical discussion to properly "understand the dependencies and
engineer accordingly". This is an operational considerations document, so it
needs to tell operators what breaks if they don't do it as recommended. If this
is about bootstrapping, then we need to be clearer about the relationship
between bootstrapping and network convergence (since recommending that the
cache is directly connected to the router is impractical) and how it impacts
RPKI cache-router communication and performance. If it's about reducing latency
via proximity, then we need to explain how much latency is too much latency and
why. If it's about proper geographic diversity within a network's topology,
then we need to say that. If we don't actually know if it makes a difference,
and so are defaulting to recommendations that most folks agree are generally a
good idea, we should say that. But right now we're assuming too much, IMO.

Wes

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to
copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for
the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the
contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and
any printout.