Sure, Joseph.

These were nanoparticles made with a reverse micellar method. Past experience has shown that this synthesis produces a passivating oxide layer on an iron core; the passivating layer is usually amorphous, which is a good thing; hematite has a lattice mismatch and thus doesn't passivate. Linear combination analysis suggested this samples was 75% metal and 25 +/- 5% oxide.

A typical amp entry is:

S02_Fe*Frac_bcc*(1-3/4*reff/R_Fe+1/16*(reff/R_Fe)^3)

S02_Fe is just the usual S02 factor, and "should" be from 0.70 to 1.0. It's lower than that in the fit I've sent you; that's one of the indications the fit may not yet be done. (I've actually gone much further with this fit, but that would have made for a more confusing file.)

Frac_bcc is the fraction of iron atoms in an ordinary bcc metal environment. In the fit I sent you, it optimizes to 34 +/ 9%. Notice that's consistent with the linear combination analysis. That makes me happy.

R_Fe is the radius of the core, modeled as a sphere. The formula in which it appears accounts for the reduction in average coordination number due to surface termination, and is discussed in several of my papers, including my articles:

S. Calvin et al., Appl. Phys. Lett. 87, 233102 (2005)

and

S Calvin et al, Phys. Scr. T115 744-748 (2005).

The oxide amp entry is much simpler:

S02_Fe*Frac_Ox*2

Frac_Ox is 1-Frac_Bcc; i.e. what's not metal is oxide.

The factor of 2 is just because I was working with a path from hematite that had coordination number of 3 (there's some splitting in hematite); I multipled by 2 to get an assumed coordination number of 6. Much of my subsequent fitting has been using bond valence theory to try to distinguish between coordination of 4 or 6 for the amorphous oxide.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College