Hi Chris,

Not to be picky, but I think we have to consider the semantics of what you're asking very carefully.

"Can ss be negative," as in, can the physical quantity which is the variance in the absorber-scatterer distance be negative? No, since variances are the square of a real number.

"Can ss be negative," as in, can ifeffit output a negative best-fit value for ss? Yes, as you've seen.

"Can ss be negative," as in, can a fit with a negative best-fit value for ss be considered a valid fit? That's really what you're asking, I think, and the answer is that it could be, depending on what you are trying to claim. Since the uncertainty in your case is quite large, it's certainly possible that your fit is consistent with believable values. But it also means that your fit gives you very little idea of what ss should actually be. The twin facts that the uncertainty is large and that the best-fit value is very close to 0 make the fit less convincing.

The simplest explanation in your case is that Ifeffit is finding a fit with an S02 and a ss that are both a bit low. Since they tend to correlate highly, that's not uncommon. Have you tried fitting using different k-weights, or, better yet, several k-weights simultaneously?

At any rate, I'd say your fit is a promising preliminary fit. As far as a publication-quality fit, it would be nice to get the nearest- neighbor ss pinned down a bit better.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College