I'm not sure what 'flattening' means.  Does that mean dividing by a linear or
other polynomial function, fitted to the post-edge?
        mam

On 5/15/2013 1:43 PM, George Sterbinsky wrote:
By standard normalization, I meant subtraction of a linear pre-edge and
multiplication by a constant. If this treatment is applied to the XAS spectra
before subtraction, one does not obtain an XMCD spectrum that goes to zero in
the post edge region for the data I described. As you noted, that is what would
be expected given the p-XAS and n-XAS have different slopes in the post-edge
region.

On the other hand, standard normalization + flattening does result in pre and
post-edge regions that go to zero, again as one might expect. So perhaps, the
background modeled by standard normalization + flattening is an accurate
representation of the real background in some cases and can be used in
quantitative analysis. Is there reason to believe that cannot be the case?

Thanks,
George

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Matthew Marcus <mamar...@lbl.gov