Sorry, Bruce,

if my wording confuses you. Thank you for considering helping me!

1. I didn't edit any content of the log file. I simply copied and pasted
the lines showing up in the log file when Artemis failed.

Again, the message showing in the log file is:
"Can't call method "workspace" without a package or object reference at
C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Demeter/Fit.pm line 1550."

or sometimes:

"Can't call method "group" on an undefined value at
C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Demeter/UI/Artemis/Project.pm line 466."

2. I simply don't know how to replicate the problem on a different
computer, because Demeter seemed to work fine on other computers that I
tried. This computer that has Artemis problem is my work computer and some
experiment data can't be transferred onto my home computer to work. Demeter
also seemed to work fine last week and only stopped working yesterday. I
didn't update anything on my work computer, so I don't know what is causing
the problem. Sorry I can't do more to help report the problem, except
providing you with the messages in the log file!

This problem is also independent on whatever project files I'm using, so
sending you project file wouldn't help. I used to create new ***.prj file
using simple feff.inp and click "save project". Next time, I re-opened this
new file and Artemis would close.

Sorry for the inconvenience brought to you since the problem can't be
reproduced anywhere else! Can you help me to understand what the error
messages mean? or give me advice on how to check or clean my computer to
make Artemis work better?

Thank you very much for your time!

Mengling

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Bruce Ravel <bra...@bnl.gov> wrote:

> I'm unfamiliar with this problem.  Two points:
>
> 1. It is a very bad idea to edit the contents of the log file in a bug
> report.  Unless you are intimately familiar with the code, the
> likelihood of leaving out something of value to me is quite high.
>
> 2. Without an example or a very clear recipe, I have no chance of
> reproducing the problem on my own computer.  If I cannot reporduce the
> problem the likelihood of being able to fix the problem is so small it
> is not worth my time to even try.
>
> I'm inclined to help you, but you have to submit a decent bug report.

> P.S. I get REALLY tired of repeating myself on this topic.  One of
> these days I am just going to start ignoring emails that do not
> provide actionable information.
>

> On 03/19/2014 02:43 PM, Mengling Yi Stuckman wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm using Demeter version 0.9.18.2 in Windows 7 Enterprise. Starting
>> from yesterday, I could not re-open what I saved as ***.fpj any more. I
>> tried to re-open my previous projects as well created new projects and
>> then re-opened them. Artemis program would close after spending 1 or 2
>> seconds in trying to load what I asked it to load. Mainly, the following
>> two error messages were showing in the log file in the %APPDATA%\demeter
>> when I tried to open different project files:
>>
>> Can't call method "workspace" without a package or object reference at
>> C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Demeter/Fit.pm line 1550.
>>
>> Can't call method "group" on an undefined value at
>> C:/strawberry/perl/site/lib/Demeter/UI/Artemis/Project.pm line 466.
>>
>> I only had problems with loading ***.fpj files. Athena projects and feff
>> input files can be imported in Artemis as normal.
>>
>> Thank you very much if you can help to fix the problem!
>>
>> Mengling
>> --
>> Mengling Yi Stuckman
>> Graduate Research Assistant
>> Civil and Environmental Engineering and Geodetic Science
>> Ohio State University
>> 2070 Neil Ave., Columbus, OH, 43210

> --
>  Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bra...@bnl.gov
>
>  National Institute of Standards and Technology
>  Synchrotron Science Group at NSLS --- Beamlines U7A, X24A, X23A2
>  Building 535A
>  Upton NY, 11973
>
>  Homepage:    http://xafs.org/BruceRavel
>  Software:    https://github.com/bruceravel