The first hit for spinel MgAl2O4 at crystallography.net gives these coordinates:

  Mg1   Mg2+   8 a 0. 0. 0. 1.  0 d
  Al1   Al3+  16 d 0.625 0.625 0.625 1.  0 d
  O1    O2-   32 e 0.375 0.375 0.375 1.  0 d

That's completely different from what's in the CIF file you sent. Your cif file does not have Cu or O at symmetry positions associated with a spinel. I suppose that makes sense given that your CIF file does not use the spinel space group.

It is true that Feff crashes, taking Artemis with it, when you try to run it on a list of atoms which has atoms that are 0.09 Angstroms apart. I suppose that Artemis should recognize that situation and ask whether you really want to run Feff with such ridiculous input. I'll put that on my to do list.

None of that answers your question of what to do. You have some crazy structure that comes from who-knows-where, that is not a spinel, but which you think is a spinel. I don't know what advice you are looking for, but you need to figure out your structure and make sure it runs to sensible completion in Atoms.