Hi Abney:

What you need to do is

1. Import the data for each scan.

2. if you have multiple scans for each sample, verify that they are all aligned (that is that the monochromator energy calibration has not changed) by comparing the edge of all of the reference channels (if you have reference) or the data scans themselves.

3. If they all align, just skip to step 5 below, if they do not, then ...

4. Align all the scans by aligning the derivatives or whatever method you want to us (experiment...)

5. Merge all the data

6. take the merged data set and make sure that the edge position is where you want it, usually at the peak in the first derivative of the edge jump.

That is it. When you are doing the fitting, allow E0 to vary and if it is too big, go back to the data and adjust it because it is likely that you assined it incorrectly.

Carlo