While I am agnostic on the issue of nomenclature of the effect in
question, far be it from me to deny Matthew (or anyone else) his right
to a quality rant.  Well done!

That said, this:

On 04/03/2016 10:15 PM, Matthew Marcus wrote:
I might also note that although many elaborate schemes have been
proposed for correcting for the effect, they all require knowing things
about the
sample that you don't always know, e.g. the exact geometry of something
that isn't planar, or the exact composition.

is the most important comment in this thread.

I would go a small step farther -- they all require knowing things
about the sample that, except in certain contrived situations, you
almost certainly don't know.

 Synchrotron Science Group at NSLS-II
 Building 535A
 Upton NY, 11973