I just checked a fix into github that addresses the problem Juan identified. Matt's assessment at https://github.com/bruceravel/demeter/issues/42 was exactly right. I adopted his second solution.

Thanks to all of you for this discussion.

On 11/25/2016 05:23 AM, Juan de la figuera wrote:
Hi,

I send one of the data files we are currently acquiring (SPLINE beamline
at ESRF).

I have checked that my compiled 0.9.24 version works with the examples
cu10k.dat file, but it is true, as Robert confirmed, that strange things
happen if you mark ev instead of kev.

With our data files like the one enclosed, dathena chokes on the scale.
Actually it opens the window but it has x10^9 scale. On the other hand,
the 0.9.24 for Windows opens the files ok. Now, the files are
MSDOS-ended files, I tried converting them to Linux-ending, but same
result. I also tried putting a # comment on the first line.

I stress that Athena 0.8.061 (included in the horae package in ubuntu)
opens the file like a charm.

One additional detail (just in case), I have Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit.

Best,
Juan

 Synchrotron Science Group at NSLS-II
 Building 743, Room 114