Dear Anatoly.  Regarding yours of Fri, 28 Jul 2017 15:43:01 -0400:

The website doesn't work for non-BNL people.  It pops up a login/password
window for the BNL domain.  I'm assuming that you want people from elsewhere to
be able to take the course.

I don't know yet whether I'll be able to go.  It does sound interesting.  My
knowledge of XAS analysis has remained pretty static.  Will there be anything
that applies
to soft X-rays?  I'm moving to STXM, so will be dealing with soft X-rays.

Sincerely,
   Matthew Marcus
Dear subscribers:

Please share with your group members or others, who may be interested, the
following information about the short course on XAFS spectroscopy:

Title: *Data Analysis and Modeling of XANES and EXAFS Spectra. Applications to
Nanomaterials*
Dates: *November 1-3, 2017*
Location: *Brookhaven National Laboratory**
**
*The course is open for applications at this web site:https://www.bnl.gov/exafs2017/
<https://mail.bnl.gov/OWA/redir.aspx?C=Cs5LzjKsiYS2QXnknBXt0VXGF6SSe4a5KclqcKrisLz4D2W08NXUCA..&URL=https%3a%2f%2fwww.bnl.gov%2fexafs2017%2f>

The course will be useful for those scientists who are familiar with the
foundations of XAFS experiment, theory and data analysis, and seek training in
advanced methods. The course will include lectures, software demonstrations,
and data analysis sessions. The emphasis will be on applications of XAFS to
nanomaterials but we will welcome all participants who are interested in modern
analysis methods. The course instructors will use examples from their research
during presentations. The topics covered will include:

-Theory of XANES,
-XANES data analysis,
-Structural refinement using XANES, with emphasis on the following methods:
         -Molecular dynamics,
         -Reverse Monte Carlo.
         -Machine Learning methods*
*

During the data analysis practicum on November 3, participants will get an
opportunity to work with research projects with the help of the course
instructors.

The course is co-sponsored by BNL and Synchrotron Catalysis Consortium (SCC).

Best regards,

Anatoly*
*
Anatoly I. Frenkel
Professor
Department of Materials Science and Chemical Engineering
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794, Ph: 631-632-2751
Email: anatoly.fren...@stonybrook.edu
<https://mail.bnl.gov/OWA/redir.aspx?C=F6wCGt4adziN6IvpdRQ-rWdgy3Oaoif_x-0ybKTBGBlALcrWeszTCA..&URL=mailto%3ajgchen%40columbia.edu>
http://you.stonybrook.edu/frenkel

Joint Appointment:
Chemistry Department, Brookhaven National Laboratory
Upton, NY 11973. Ph: 631-344-3013. Group: 631-344-3494
Email: fren...@bnl.gov <mailto:fren...@bnl.gov>
https://www.bnl.gov/chemistry/bio/FrenkelAnatoly.asp
Spokesperson, Synchrotron Catalysis Consortium (SCC) at BNL
http://you.stonybrook.edu/scc2