Dear Patricia,

Linear combination fits are a nice tool, but one should handle them with great
care

- the background subtraction process can introduce significant errors. You have
to fine tune the parameters by hand if you are using Athena to get reasonable
results

- sometimes PCA (principle component analysis) helps to find a reasonable
number of components

- Athena only shows the fitting errors: please keep in mind, that the error of
the complete measurement and data evaluation process is much larger. It makes
sense to test the process with known mixtures.

- the variation of the of the sum of all components between 98 and 105 % (even
with choosing -> sum coefficients to 1) is a problem somewhere inside of
Athena. I think only Bruce Ravel can help you there.

best regards

Stefan