Take a look at the installation instructions here:

https://igraph.org/c/

You can see the available options to the configure script and their default
values with

./configure

The installation location is controlled by the --prefix option. I believe
the default is /usr/local, which you won't be able to write to without
administrative access. If you are working on a HPC cluster, I suggest you
install the library somewhere within your home directory. For example, to
install into ~/local, use

./configure --prefix=$HOME/local