For purposes of the mailing list archive: this is now being discussed in
https://github.com/igraph/igraph/issues/981

@vtraag said:

"no it is not yet implemented in the R interface. We are currently working
on updating the R interface to the recently released C core, version 0.8.0,
see igraph/rigraph#372 <https://github.com/igraph/rigraph/pull/372>. If
that is done, the new contributions could start to be added."

T.