On Thursday 31 January 2013 01:26 PM, Manish Chakravarty wrote:
> I am running Xubuntu 12.04.1 LTS.
>
> I am not sure why, but lightDM does not start on boot.
> The work around that I am using is to do a "Ctrl Alt F1" to go to text
> console and then running a "sudo service lightdm restart"
>
> I had a look at the upstart script and found no issue - I also tried
> "sudo apt-get remove ligthdm --purge ; sudo apt-get install" multiple
> times to make sure I had a sane config.
>
> Does anyone have any pointers ( other than "dump Ubuntu and go to
> Debian/Linux Mint" )  ?

I don't have a confident answer to this. I too have run into this issue
occasionally and the workaround you mentioned works.

IMO the problem could be a timing issue with the dependencies. lightdm
depends on dbus. If dbus is not available at boot time when lightdm is
fired, it fails. When you retry the same, later, from the console, it
works because dbus might be initialized by then.

To confirm this, you might want to check the failed log of lightdm to
see why exactly it failed in that first invocation.

--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf
RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com