Hi,
  I don't know if this is relevant here, but in Gnu/Linux systems, I
have seen integers commonly used in place of subnet mask. This integer
indicates how many MSBs (most significant bits) of the 32 bit subnet
mask is 1. Thus, a subnet mask 255.255.0.0 would correspond to 16 and
255.255.255.0 would correspond to 24. Besides, the hosts.allow man
page says this:

"An  expression of the form ‘n.n.n.n/mm’ is interpreted as a ‘net/
masklength’ pair, where ‘mm’ is the number of consecutive ‘1’ bits in
the netmask applied to the ‘n.n.n.n’ address"

Regards,
Gokul Das