Agreed! But the problem cannot be solved simply by replacing Mono
apps. .NET is an excellent framework spec and will always lure in
programmers who don't worry much about legality. What is needed is an
alternative framework that can do a similar job. Kind of like trying
to replace Flash/Silverlight with HTML5 features. Having said that, it
is an extremely formidable task to create a spec like that. Or
alternatively, someone should do a total audit of Mono to make sure
that it doesn't violate any patents. If it does, they should try to
get an irrevocable royalty free usage agreement for the offending
spec. Otherwise it will remain a pain.

Regards,
Gokul Das