Hi,

  Thanks Jikku! I am happy that you like it. Anyway, the native GIMP
format is XCF. I tried saving it and sending it to you - but it was no
different from the final PNG that I sent you. XCF doesn't save any of
the manipulation history - so it is practically useless for analyzing
the steps involved in the process. What XCF does store are GIMP
layers, paths, channels, vectors etc. But I didn't use any of these
features. I will send it to you if you still think you can make
something of it.

  Actually in this case, it is alright to be lame! Even though it
looks like a 2 step 10 min work, it took me over 2 hours to figure out
how to do it. I admit it! I never used Gimp before! The problem is
that we were trying to copy an effect, not create one by random
experimentation. The image you sent had to be analyzed - once even
down to pixel level - to find out what was done on it. And then I had
to experiment to get similar results. I will summarize the operation
as follows:

The 'blend' tool settings were the following:

Colour: FG: White, BG: Black
Mode : Overlay (this was required to create the gloss effect -
especially over white areas of flag)
Gradient: FG to Transparent (this was required to avoid darkening
patches of the old blend operation)
Shape: Bilinear
Repeat: None

  Before doing the blend, the entire image had to be darkened (Step
1). The Paint bucket in 'hard light' mode was used for this. The
foreground colour used for the operation was a dark gray colour. This
step was necessary because the final image didn't have enough contrast
without it.

  I don't know how to save and pass on the manipulation history. If
there is any way to do that- please let me know. Otherwise, a live
demo is the only way to pass it on.

Regards,
Gokul Das