I myself have a Canon EOS 350D and I appreciate their technology. But if you
are in Kerala, its better to use Nikon products for two reasons. First one
is climatic. In the high humidity of Kerala, the lenses are more likely to
be infected with fungus. Nikon lenses inhibits more resistance to fungi.
Second is availability of premium service. More service personals are
accustomed with Nikon than Canon in Kerala.  But if you are living somewhere
with less humidity, I would recommend using Canon.