there wont be such situation like this.. but wen u connect to windows, the USB is not being detected or not accessible??

just check ur hardware section in windows that u can make sure its detected.. if you have any partition manager in windows, try it to re-partition the USB drive.

and in ubuntu, try the Gparted, to make detect USB drive and re format with fat32 file system.

N.b:- ubuntu box I means , those rectangular boxes(cpu) filled with ubuntu:P