if it is greyed out, its probably your USB device  not been detected. Can
you check the out put of lsusb. Or you can fire tail -f /var/log/message
then connect and USB and check if the USB device state is being changed.

make sure the usb-modswitch package is installed.

*-- JeevZ *

*  *
*| !!Its Better to be Blessed With Nothing Than Cursed with Blessings!!  |*
+-
+
Jeevachaithanyan Sivanandan
+60102780263