Hi,
  I want to test a bunch of bleeding edge software (scientific) directly
from source. However, I am facing the usual issues related to installing
from source. The dependencies provided by the distro's package manager are
always too old. And, many of the build scripts don't provide an option to
uninstall compiled packages from the system cleanly.

That is, I want to be able to test the software without touching the
default installation (install to a non standard location). I am willing to
compile all required dependencies from source, but the compiled apps should
be able to link with custom-compiled SOs, rather than with the distro's
version (ie, ld configuration). The apps should also invoke other
custom-compiled apps when available. This way, I can hack the source
without breaking the default install, and return the system back to normal
after experimentation.

Can anyone suggest how this is done? A reference doc/page would be nice. I
have been googling for it, but can't form the correct search terms to get a
meaningful result. Right now, I am looking at Debian package managers'
manual for a solution, but not sure if I will get it. Any help is
appreciated.

with regards,
Gokul Das