On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 12:35 -0700, Visakh wrote:

> @ Sasi sir: Oops! My bad! Actually, it was the other way around! You
> did post it to SMC, and I cross posted it from SMC to LUG. That was
> what I apologised for! :) I think I expressed the idea wrongly and
> caused the confusion. I will take more care in the future to improve
> my communication skills! I have to apologise the second time in a
> single thread! :D

It is all right, Visakh. Your language is among the better ones in this
list. So, don't worry. I just re-read your mail and I now think that you
didn't make any serious mistake there. Somehow I misunderstood it. It
was my fault, and sorry for that. So just forget it.

> Anyway, I cross posted this because I thought it affected every
> computer user today - more so the ordinary people. As long as there is
> an option to disable secure boot, newer computer systems can be used
> exactly the same way as with BIOS - but with all advantages of UEFI.
> But Microsoft has already made it clear to OEMs that ARM based systems
> running windows MUST NOT have an option to disable secure boot. How
> long before they arm twist OEMs to do the same for x86? If that
> happens, our only option will be to add our own cryptographic key or
> the distro's cryptographic key to the UEFI memory (assuming that
> atleast this option is not taken away). Anyways, it will be one hell
> of a headache to install other OSs from then on.

Yes, very true. I didn't think that way. Thanks for pointing it out.
Guess, I should post it in some of the national fora too. Perhaps,
someone, maybe Santhosh, can write an article on it in Malayalam (I mean
both language and the magazine).

Regards,
Sasi

--