On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Girish Venkatachalam
<girishvenkatacha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Linux is fine to begin with but if you really want to do great things
> you need to graduate out of linux in a year or two.

IMO, Linux is NOT fine to begin with. The code is way too big for a
beginner to handle. And its something I would NEVER recommend for a
newbie. Plus, it is extremely easy to get lost, frightened and
disappear.

The best place to start when it comes to OS would be small kernels.

E.g. RTEMS, TinyOS, FreeRTOS, Ångström, ucLinux and the likes.

You would have already guessed most of these relate to embedded
systems which enforce a lot of resource constraints. So they have to
be small and stripped off unnecessary crap. Once you learn one of
these, you can graduate to Linux much more easily and then move ahead.

My two cents.