Hi

I attempted to install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit in my Dell laptop (Inspiron
17 3721  i5/ 6gb / 750 gb HDD / Windows 7 pro) to dual boot. In the laptop
legacy bios was enabled and secure boot disabled. I booted the system using
the downloaded ISO DVD and  did the following steps:

1. Deleted the empty 170 gb Windows NTFS partition to create free space.
2. Selected the free space using the Ubuntu partition utility
3. Created 1gb /boot logical partition ext4 - no problem
3. Then created a 30 gb / root logical  partition ext4 - no problem
4. Then created a 130 gb /home logical partition ext4 - There was problem.
I could not proceed to create /swap partition.

After clicking OK, home partition did not get created. It was showing busy
icon for more than two hours. Then I clicked the cancel button. There was
no response for another one more hour. Only the busy icon was displayed.
Then I am forced to shutdown the system, removed the DVD. Rebooted into
Windows and checked the disk partition, all the partitions including the
deleted one remained intact as NTFS.

Earlier I had installed different versions of Ubuntu in many laptops and
desktops (dual booting). I find this problem strange and also googled a
bit. Some people have reported similar issue i.e. Ubuntu partition utility
taking longer time to create ext4 file system.

I shall be thankful if someone from ilugc suggest me a solution.

R.Dhanagopal