On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 11:11 PM, Arun Khan <knu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 8:25 AM, Shakthi Kannan <shakthim...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > --- On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 1:08 PM, sahil साहिल
> > <scorpionking.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > | * Identify which IP address and port the Apache daemon listens on.
> > \--
> >
> > Check its configuration file.
> >

> Also, "netstat -nltup"  will list all tcp/udp ports and program name.
> You can also do "lsof" and grep for port numbers that will list the
> program using the respective port(s).

Point noted about <netstat>.

> > ---
> > | Is it a valid solution? I think by scanning on port 80 using nmap we
> can
> > | find out what ip's apache daemon listens.
> > \--
> >

> Beware of using scanning tools like nmap.  When you use nmap make sure
> if you have the permission from the owner of the target IP.   Some
> ISPs may not like it even when you have the instance owner's
> permission.

Point noted.

> > How can you tell if it isn't another web server running on port 80?
> >

> netstat and lsof are pretty reliable (unless your server has been
> hacked and root kitted).

Thanks.

> > ---
> > | * Find all IP addresses between your server and www.google.com
> > \--
> >
> > What do you mean by "between"?
> >

> +1  but I guess OP is asking for number of connections between his
> server (client) and www.google.com (server).
>
> Again, "netstat" and "lsof" will list the connections.
>
> The rest of them are fundamental stuff i.e. *nix admin 101

Yes, rest are fundamentals and we can't deal practically with every concept
in one shot or in an overnight. That's why we read, try, iterate and ask
seniors in case of doubts.

> > ---
> > | * Write a shell script to get the third element delimited by ":"
> > | Do not use <awk, sed, cut...>
> > \--
> >
> > Why not?
>
> +1

@Shakthi and Arun:
I will surely ask the guy who that why not to use <awk, sed, cut...>.
Because there is no fun in re-inventing the wheel.
On the other side, this taught us that we can accomplish the task with
another method. That's how we come to know that a particular problem can be
solved from different dimension.

> > | I hope such questions will help others too.
> > \--
> >

> In what way?  IMO, they should be part of your "snap your fingers" tool
> kit.

@Arun:
If one is curious and eager to learn then he will get meaningful from such
questions.
Could you please explain the meaning of "snap your fingers" tool kit?
Please illuminate me on this.

> > Where did you find such questions?
> >

> +1.  To me they appear to be job interview type questions.

@Shakthi and Arun:

I love to find questions pretty much about every topic which I like. Topics
from wide range: Docker, Vagrant, Ansible, Puppet, Chef, Python (lamda
functions), Google Foobar, Machine Langugae, AI, AWS, OpenStack etc.
I don't have any talent. Only passionately curious.

I think I did a mistake by posting questions on this group. Anyways, lesson
learnt.
Will refrain.

Thanks folks for your time and energy.

--