Mani wrote:

hi all,
        I have PCQ 7.1 installed with Apache 1.3.19-6 installed. I need to
upgrade this to apache 1.3.27.
I have downloaded the rpm's from RH site, but when i try to install the new
package, it givemes me failed dependencies errors..
        mod_bandwidth is needed by apache-1.3.27-2.7.1
        mod_put is needed by apache-1.3.27-2.7.1
        mod_throttle is needed by apache-1.3.27-2.7.1
        libmm.so.11   is needed by apache-1.3.27-2.7.1
        apache = 1.3.19-5 is needed by mod_ssl-2.8.1-5
So I got the above packages, but these conflict with the existing Apache
1.3.19
rpm -ivh mod_bandwidth-2.0.3-2.i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
        apache < 1.3.22-1 conflicts with mod_bandwidth-2.0.3-2

And I cannot remove the existing apache either as also gives dependecies
errors

If I compile Apache from source will these dependencies be taken care of? or
will apache still need these packages?

Ofcourse recompilation will take care of dependencies. But there is one more thing to try.

Try to upgrade and install the new apache and the downloaded modules together. You must have been trying to only install the new modules.

Try
  rpm -Uvh apache-* mod*

rpm should check and find out that if the old apache has to go then the conflicts dont hold.

Do tell me if this or does not work! :)

- Sandip

-- Sandip Bhattacharya http://www.sandipb.net sandip at puroga.com Puroga Technologies Pvt. Ltd. http://www.puroga.com