  >>> On Wednesday 17 Dec 2003 4:35 pm, AM <Abhijit Menon-Sen> said:
    AM> Is anyone running Linux on a motherboard with the Via KT600 chipset?
 Any AM> good/bad experiences to share? (What motherboard/processor do you
 have?) AM>
    AM> On a somewhat related note: if anyone wants to recommend their
 favourite AM> hardware vendor, I would be grateful. I'm putting together a
 new machine AM> for work, and I'm not entirely happy with my regular dealer.

    AM> -- ams

- --

Hi,
 My brother has an ASUS A7V600 board which flaunts a VIA KT600 chipset. I
guess it has SATA support as well as 6 channel audio etc etc. It has a AMD
Athlon 1800+ XP processor and 512 DDR (Kingston). The processor is
overclocked to run at around 1800-1900 MHz I guess. Its running great for the
last 2-3 months. We assembled all the stuff from Nehru Place. So I guess you
wont have any problems getting the stuff. The on board sound is amazing.

  Make sure you get ASUS boards if you are really interested in good quality.
(well, thats my personal opinion). I have an old Asus A7VE motherboard which
has been running for 3 yrs without any problem whatsoever. OTOH I am
currently running an MSI board with KT333 chipset which has gone dead twice.
The guys at Priya (the distributors) couldnt repair and I had to get a
replacement (for free, of course). The new board also gave serious problems
so I replaced it again (for free). The service is good but can't take so much
of headache.

  Get the linux drivers from the net else the system will run *too slow*. I
recompiled the 2.4.22 kernel after applying the patches and hdparm was giving
around 55 MBps with the timing buffered disk reads. I guess kernel 2.6.0
gives around 45 MBPS.

  Let me know if you need any more information.

Regards,
Bhaskar.

Bhaskar Dutta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     GPG .eq. AA56 1EB5 D7E8 DD9C 298E  8F4D 375F D416 01D5 671C